It all began on April 30, 1898, when John Kelly, M.W. Kelly, Seth Parmenter, C.W. Parmenter and J.C. Postlethwaite first organized The Jamestown State Bank with a capital stock of $5,000.00.
The old Exchange State Bank building was rented with the annual rent being $225.00. Seth Parmenter was elected first president, John Kelly as cashier, C.W. Parmenter as assistant cashier, and J.C. Postlethwaite as vice-president. Commercial Bank of Kansas City was selected as the correspondent bank.
A milestone was reached in 1923 when Leon A. Herbin made his entry into The Jamestown State Bank. He sold his stock in the State Bank of Ames, Kansas and purchased control of The Jamestown State Bank.
In 1925 the Farmers State Bank merged with the Jamestown State Bank. At that time officers of The Jamestown State Bank were, Ed Fitzgerald, President, Leon Herbin, Vice-President, A.W. Sjoholm, Cashier, and Harold Champlin, Assistant Cashier.
In 1946 A.J. Herbin joined The Jamestown State Bank following military service, and today still serves actively as Chairman of the Board of Directors.
In 1974 John F. Herbin joined the team as the third generation of the Herbin family to maintain a presence at the Jamestown State Bank. Today he serves as the bank’s President and CEO. The bank has been under Herbin family control for 83 years running and is known as one of the most solid banking institutions in the state.
Today the bank’s mission is to maintain sound financial products designed to help our customers grow and prosper. We specialize in providing superior service and agricultural community based lending.